- Good government is a matter of restraint and foresight. A child will eat an entire chocolate cake if given the opportunity. It’s the job of the parent, at bare minimum, to make sure the child doesn’t do so. More optimistically, one hopes the parent does something more than prevent the child from eating the entire cake: one hopes the parent, concerned with their child’s growing body, provides them an authentically healthy meal.
- Civilizations are destroyed when they destroy the environment they live in. Usually, this happens when all the trees are cut down, and topsoil slides into the waterways. Whether in ancient Mesopotamia or Egypt or modern day Haiti, cities crumble when the earth beneath them literally gives way.
- The survival of a civilization isn’t predicated on how happy they are during the long summer, it’s about how well they’ve prepared for winter.
- The Republican Party, contrary to the reputation it has given itself, is not particularly conservative for the simple reason that it doesn’t conserve anything. Generally, it’s policies call for the rape of the environment and the exploitation of the poor; massive increases in the national debt. Whenever and wherever Republicans govern, restraint and foresight are discarded.
- Certain public policies are cancer: sucking the life from society’s vital organs.
- From CNBC:
The Republican Senate tax bill would increase taxes in 2019 for 13.8 million U.S. households earning less than $200,000 per year, according to analysts.
About 10 percent of all taxpayers would face a tax increase of $100-$500 in 2019.
There also would be increases greater than $500 for a number of taxpayers, especially those with incomes between $75,000 and $200,000.
7. In short: taxes go up on the middle to pay for tax cuts for the top.
8. How is a major political party able to brazenly steal from the middle-class on behalf of corporations? The answer is simple: because this party is corporate. Corporations don’t influence politicians and their parties: now, they are them. The Republican Party is acting in its own rational self-interest: the self-interest of American corporations.
9. Historically, fascism is the union of governmental power and industrial power.